We’ve discovered that you can have an exceptional African safari that is also an affordable African safari!
The single biggest tip we can share to get a high quality cheap African safari is to go in off season. Fortunately, for South Africa low season is an excellent time for game viewing. Those are the months of May, June, July and August.
We also give a number of tips on how to get the best affordable African safari and the best budget African safari tour. Click here to learn more
Find peace of mind & answers to your questions about what’s the best cheap African safari in South Africa for you! These are the types of safaris most locals take. Free advice.
Book A South Africa Safari In Low Season
In South Africa the low season for safaris is from May to August. This is the best time to get an affordable African safari tour in South Africa.
- Low-season prices will save you least 25% on any safari.
- You avoid the crowds. If you also avoid the South Africa school holidays. This is most applicable if you are going to one of the national parks like Kruger
- It is easier to see the animals. This is the case for two reasons. First, in South Africa, May to August is the winter. Second it is also the dry season. Animals are easier to spot since they have to go to waterholes to drink and there is little foliage to camouflage them. So in South Africa the best time for an affordable African safari tour is also an excellent time for a safari.
- In June through August the airfares from the US to South Africa are high.
Choose Just One Wildlife Park
The more parks you visit the more it costs. In East Africa, choose a park that will almost guarantee you see a lot of animals. Two such parks are the Masai Mara & the Serengeti. Then just plan to just visit there.
For South Africa the two best national parks that guarantee you see a lot of animals are Kruger National Park and the Pilanesberg National Park . For the most affordable African safari tour just plan to visit there. There are also more and more private game reserves and private lodges within national parks opening up in South Africa where you are almost guaranteed to see the Big Five (lion, elephant, leopard, rhino, buffalo in just a few outings. This is a big advantage of a private lodge, but it costs more.
- Cheaper than going from one park to the other
- Leaves you with time to explore Africa’s incredibly interesting cultural and historic sights as well.
- If you’re unlucky you may not get to see all the wildlife you want
- You can miss out on seeing a variety of ecosystems
Here are some great value South African safaris & tours
World famous Kruger and the beautiful malaria free Pilanesberg National Parks are two of the best national parks in South Africa. Add to this a few days in Cape Town doing some great Cape Town tours and you have a wonderful, affordable African safari tour.
These are safaris at excellent private lodges. If they are beyond your budget take a look at our guidelines for choosing a cheap African safari in South Africa or a budget South African safari.
Kruger National Park – All Inclusive Safari (5 day/4 night)
2 Nights at Honeyguide Tented Safari Camps, Manyeleti Reserve in Greater Kruger National Park
2 Nights at The Outpost in Kruger National Park
5 days car rental, unlimited mileage, supercover insurance VW Chico or similar, J class
from USD 1498 per person based on double occupancy or single occupancy. NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT!
All inclusive: all accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, beverages, game drives (2 game drives per day) and guided walks
Pilanesberg National Park – all inclusive safari (3 day/ 2 night)
3 day/ 2 nights at Kwa Maritane or Bakubung Luxury Lodges3 days car rental, unlimited mileage, supercover insurance VW Chico or similar, J class
All inclusive: accommodation, breakfast & dinner daily, 2 game drives per day
From USD 570 per person based on double occupancy, add USD 140 single supplement
Cape Town Add On (3 days/2 nights)
3 days car rental, unlimited mileage, supercover insurance VW Chico or similar, J class 2 nights 4 star bed and breakfast daily
from USD 395 per person based on double occupancy, add USD 196 single supplement(land only, airfare excluded)
Interested ? Contact us now & tell us which handpicked special you are interested in. Or we can send you free personalized advice about the best South African safari & South Africa vacations for your interests and budget!